Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Pattern Recognition ch. 1-2

I find it very interesting how Gibson shows the relationship between the self, society, and technology. The narrator often refers to the "Mirror-World," or the new society (England) where everything is different for Cayce, the main character. A lot of the differences described in the "mirror-world" that feel "alien" to Cayce are technology related: how the plugs on appliances are huge, cars are reversed, telephones feel different, lamps click on in a different way. Interestingly, it is also technology that brings Cayce a sense of home: "It is a way now, approximately, of being at home. The forum has become one of the most consistent places in her life, like a familiar cafe that exists somehow outside of geography and beyond time zones" (Gibson 4-5). That last line is what really stuck in my mind. In what ways does technology allow you to feel as if you're home when you're not? Are there certain technologies that have become consistent for you, such as the forum has for Cayce? Why?

2 comments:

  1. Honestly, the cell phone has become a huge consistency for me, and in a way, does allow me to feel like I am home when I'm really not. My "home" is in California, so any opportunity I get to talk to my twin sister, my brother, my parents, etc., lets me feel like I am still there and a part of their lives. It sucks being so far away, and not really knowing what is going on or how my family is doing. The cell phone allows me to check in with them. ALSO, facebook has become an incredible consistent technology for me. It is yet another outlet for me to see how my cousins, sister and other family members and friends back home are doing. When I am in Boston, there is a 3 hour time difference; but when I am on the phone or talking to them through the facebook chat, it is as if we are together in the same time zone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree that the cell phone has become an enormous consistency especially for me. It's my way of setting business and meetings (social or business).

    I found the comparison of the forum to the cafe very interesting. It's the one thing that's familiar to her in the loft so she naturally check it. Oh, and I also thought the fact the logo reminded her of sperm was pretty funny. lol

    ReplyDelete